Monday, November 24, 2008

The ramblings of Chester

In the last month, I've been asking my 9 to 11 year old students to complete a writing task on a range of different issues every week.  Up until now their writing tasks in class have consisted of answering  questions in pretty basic, single sentences. And for the most part, they're pretty good at it.  Given their skills in these previous writing tasks, I was intrigued to see what they would produce when asked to write a paragraph or short essay... and then I received this little diddy from a boy called Chester...

 Let me explain Chester a little first.  Chester is adorable.  He often wears matching outfits... which look remarkably like pajamas.  Last week, for example, he was wearing a light blue terry-toweling cookie monster tracksuit... he's 11.  Chester has a little crush on me and always manages to maneuver his chair to the point where he's sitting flush against me... he constantly 'drops' things so he can lean over me to pick them up and sometimes he just flat out tries to play footsies with me or hold my hand.  Chester is my number one offender when it comes to 'Konglish' (Korean-English)...  if he were to read the sentence "I like going to the movies"  he would say it like "I-uh like-uh to-uh going-uh to-uh the-uh movie-uh".  Chester is a smart kid who has been learning English for YEARS, but just can't seem to grasp the grammatical structure of the language in the same way his class mates (or my 6 year old kinder kids) can.

The topic this week was: "Write about times when you were sick or you had health problems.  Give some ideas on how to keep healthy."  Here is what Chester came up with...

"The nosebleed, don't lean back and two fingers on nose and a sunburn, Put some lotion on it, and Don't your hot going. a sore shoulder, Put hot towel and Don't fix the hands.  an insect bite, Don't scratch it and going hospital.  I'm ideas is nosebleed spoon on your nose and sunburn idea in your paper is not sunburn and insect bite idea you put the rad color paper bees is don't like rad."  

Riiiiigggghhhht....

No comments: